Friday, September 5, 2008

Reunion!!


One of the hardest things about leaving Cape Town in January was to leave behind the project that Wezi (pictured) was working on. Her dream was to open a program for kids in grade 1 who are not ready to be there - working with the kids who would otherwise get left behind. Wezi was Jeannie and my Xhosa teacher, and we spent hours talking over her plans and dreams with her, and figured out how to make them into a reality. I was so, so excited to be involved, and going to Grahamstown was so hard for the fact that I knew I wouldn't be able to be as involved. A few weeks ago I was in Cape Town, and I got the chance to meet up with Wezi and catch up - and - her news was amazing. With Jeannie's help, Wezi has got her program up and going in two schools, with plans to move into a third. She is working with the kids with the most needs. Even more amazingly, because the schools she is working in have seen the progress she has made with the kids, they have agreed to start up an entire school-based program for remediation, to better set up kids for success. Beautiful. Go get 'em, Wezi!!!

No comments: