This is one of those things that I never fill out - until I am supposed to be packing.
What were you doing 5 Years ago?
I was studying in Guanajuato, Mexico,and about to move to Buenos Aires, Argentina - my first experience living out of the country
5 Months ago?
I was camping in Addo Elesphant park near Grahamstown South Africa - I had just returned from a road trip through Namibia.
5 Things on my to-do list:
1. Pack for Johannesburg and Malawi
2. Finish Chapter 1 of my thesis
3. Write my Development Sociology paper
4. Get extra pages in my passport
5. Buy a calling card to call my dad on his birthday next week
5 Favorite Snacks:
1. sparkling water (newfound love thanks to Jeannie)
2. fruit - especially tangerines, berries, or any dried fruit
3. popcorn - but the real kind, not the kind with fake butter
4. chai tea
5. rice crispy treats
6 things I'd do with a Billion Dollars:
1. buy a lifetime supply of plumpy nut for every orphanage I have ever visited and/or find a way for those orphanages to produce plumpy nut on their own.
2. start a fund for low-income kids to study abroad or do service work abroad
3. create a sustainable fund to pay preschool teachers in Grahamstown a descent salary (they literally make next to nothing and their job is SOOO important for setting kids up for success)
4. buy rain water tanks for every school in the Grahamstown township so they don't have to rely on the district for water - and begin building sanitation systems (i.e. get descent sewage systems put in and running water in every home/school/clinic - no more bucket toilets!)
5. ask my brother to invest it so that all of the above projects would be sustainable - he's brilliant about stuff like that.
6. go to medical school - for real. maybe do a m.d./ph.d
5 Places I've lived:
1. Burley, Idaho
2. Houston, Texas
3. Denver, Colorado
4. Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico
5. Grahamstown, South Africa
5 Things you might not know about me:
1. I have very bad hearing. Often people will be singing along to a song on the radio that I cannot hear at all. It also means I ask "what?" about 200 times a day.
2. I get woozy and/or faint every time I see my own blood, get a shot, or think that I may be hurt - anyone else, I'm fine, even fascinated. But if its me, not so much.
3. I HATE when my feet are dirty or sticky. I also hate wearing shoes. This is problematic.
4. Until 2003 I had only been to one country outside of the United States - but in the last 5 years I have traveled to 24 countries
5. Unless there is a miracle, I am out of commission by about 10:30pm. This infamously included my 21st birthday when my parents, who met me in New Orleans for the occasion, out-partied me. By a lot.