Sunday, July 4, 2010

Is this really my life?!

For the moment, I live on a mat in a tent.  
I shower with frogs and geckos.  
I eat with chopsticks out of a little bowl.  
I sleep 10 inches from my supervisor. 
I lost count at 50 when trying to count the number of bug bites on one of my legs. 
I eat rice 3 times a day.
I sang Heal the World (in English) with a room full of Vietnamese camp staff last night.  
Then they sang happy birthday to American for us in honor of the 4th of July.  
Obnoxious drunk Australians were keeping everyone awake a few nights ago, but I watched as our logistics coordinator (the sweetest little lady you have ever met in your life) took a megaphone at 6:30am the next morning and blared it in front of their tent.  
My most valued possession at the moment is a racket - it looks much like a tennis racket - that is electrified and is used to zap mosquitoes in your tent.  
I find this endlessly entertaining.
I have been told more than once that I have a good Vietnamese accent, even though I can't even remember how to say "how are you?"  
I have worn a blue wig 3 times in two days. 
 Yesterday I had to teach our interpreter what "air quotes" are, after using them in an inappropriate story.
I have NEVER seen capacity building as successful as what is happening with this program here.
I am proud to be part of this team.
 We just finished a week of training staff.
The kids come tomorrow for their camp.
This is the coolest job ever.

1 comment:

Jen said...

yay! i may need you to go in more detail about some of these. like the blue wig...