Friday, January 23, 2009

Bernard Lewis and Company


Three nights ago, I went to a special symposium offered at Hebrew University.

On the panel was the famous (or infamous, depending on who you ask) Bernard Lewis - the guy who argued with Edward Said forever and ever... he's the one on the far right. I read a ton of his stuff in college in an Arab/Israeli history class I took (granted, I disagreed with most of it) - and so it was cool to get to see him in person. He's old!

It was interesting, but after almost 8 hours of intense class, my mind was a bit tired and I had a hard time focusing parts of it. One of the more interesting recommendations (I thought) that came out of the panel was directed toward to the Israeli government regarding relations with Iran - the recommendation was to stop with all of the huge international conferences, and just talk with the leaders on a more private, bilateral level.

2 comments:

Cory and Karen said...

Your blog is so cool! I think it is crazy that someone I know, from Burley, has been all over the world. You look like you are having a great time going to all those new places. Keep up the good work and take care.

Karen Johnson

Kelly Peterson said...

I love reading about you!!