Tuesday, May 1, 2012

A fresh outlook

This trip happened to be Gloria and Nilton's first time in the United States.  I had SO much fun watching them experience everything with fresh eyes.  It reminded me of what simple things we take for granted!

Some highlights 
  • Eating their first bagel
  • Going to Starbucks (a big request from them)
  • Eating a 'Super Hamburguesa' at In and Out (um.. yum.)
  • Watching planes take off from LAX
  • Finding the Michael Jackson star on the Hollywood walk of fame
  • Eating avocados on a sandwich instead of as dessert like they do in Paraguay
  • Seeing the ocean for the second time ever
  • Nilton recounting how it took him 20 minutes to figure out how to make the water come out of the shower spout - I laughed so hard I almost crashed our rental car.  Next time I will be sure to prep them better on the bathroom end of things.


This was only the second time they had seen the ocean - so amazing to watch their reactions.  I teared up a little :)

The parents of one of the Americans that they know who lives in Paraguay invited us over to their house for dinner.  I translated for them.  It was SO incredible - they loved it (and so did I).  This family welcomed us in with open arms and fed us an amazing meal.  It was so cool for G & N to get to see an American home.  G&N talked about how much they loved it and how incredibly kind the couple was all weekend.  Their hospitality was inspiring and reminded me how much impact just opening your door and cooking a meal can have.

I had to get a foot picture in there!  Mountains just outside of LA - on the way to the Painted Turtle camp.

Nilton enjoying the view from the mountains on the way back from The Painted Turtle.
He thought the jumping picture was pretty cool and wanted to take one of me... but we had a little trouble with the timing :)

No comments: