Monday, March 19, 2012

This is my job

Phone conversation I just had:

Me:: Can I please confirm my reservation for my hotel in Ho Chi Minh City?
Receptionist in Vietnam: Yes, who is this?
Me: Haley
Receptionist: Harry?
Me: Yes
Receptionist: Please spell your last name.
Me: F-L-E-T
Receptionist: F-L-E-C
Me: No, T
Receptionist: C
Me: No, T, like tea cup
Receptionist: C
Me. No, T, like Tanzania
(co-worker yells from other office - "Wrong continental reference!")
Receptionist: F-L-E-C
Me: T, T like TRAIN
Receptionist: T!
Me: Yes! Ok, F-L-E-T-C
Receptionist: F-L-E-C-C
Me: silence
Receptionist: Maybe better over email?
Me: Yes, I think you're right.

1 comment:

Kate Cottrell said...

Thanks for this. I needed the laugh. And it is so nice to be reminded that while we may have these difficult language/culture exchanges...they make life that much more interesting and hilarious...when we can look past the frustrating aspects. :)