Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Citizen

Last night I walked over to vote in a neighborhood committee election.
Its only my second time voting 'at the polls' - every other election I have voted in has been by absentee ballot.  I'm digging the 'go to the polls' thing.

I have been thinking about voting a lot as I've been participating in an open innovation platform on making elections accessible.  One of the things that seems to almost inevitable at some point is moving voting to an online experience in one way or another.  I am so excited about this idea, and how it could increase voter participation, make voting accessible to all, etc. etc.  But I have to say, there is really something special about walking over to my neighborhood poll, having a cup of hot chocolate with other voters.. feeling part of the community of which I am a part.  Because of the nature of my work (aka I am in other countries more than 60% of the time), those chances are few and far between for me, and I have been SO energized and inspired to be a more active citizen by my two 'poll voting' experiences.

Also a bonus of voting - there is a fabulous middle eastern restaurant between my house and the poll.  So it is pretty much part of my civic responsibility to stop by, support small business, and eat a schwarma.
Best case scenario.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: