Saturday, January 19, 2008

The animal life of Robben Island



Posted by Picasa
On Saturday we took a ferry to Robben Island. I was shocked to find that the island was chalk-full of animals! We saw an ostrich (pictured), several botenbok, and the bok that looked like miniature reindeer (I haven't learned their name yet). We also saw hundreds of birds and rabbits. It was most surprising because the island is nearly entirely bare - we were told that there is no accessible fresh water because imported eucalyptis trees have drained any reserves that there were. However, they cannot cut down the eucalyptis trees because it would alter the bird life. All water for people living on the island has to be shipped from Cape Town. While there were prisoners on the island, they had sharply rationed drinking water.

1 comment:

Kim Fletcher said...

Oh, my! I can't believe all the animals in such conditions! I wonder if Donna has seen this blog!
Love you,
Mom