I am seriously considering investing in a higher quality camera before my next round of travels. Pictures are my journal and the most powerful way I have of sharing my experiences with my family, friends and anyone else I coerce into watching. In particular, I think the next project I will be working on in Kibera will be very powerfully conveyed through images.
So I think I'm going to take the plunge.
Here's what I'm looking for:
- A serious zoom (at a minimum 10x, but ideally a 15-20x)
- Compact size (I'm not sure I'm ready for something that requires its own suitcase - I want it to be able to fit in my handbag).
- Something that is good in low light situations, macro and portraits
- Has video capabilities
- Under $500
- I use my camera most to capture 'life' situations, so I need something that can capture an image very quickly if needed (in other words, a long start-up time would not be the best)
- I am no camera expert, but am pretty good with the basic customizing that you can do with a point and shoot - I'm looking for an 'advanced' point and shoot, something with more options than a basic, but not quite a dslr.
These are three that I've been looking at, in my initial order of preference, but I have no idea if I am on the right track or not: