Monday, March 10, 2008

Water

For all of you in the US ---- you should read this:
Prescription drugs found in drinking water across U.S..
http://edition.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/03/10/pharma.water1.ap/index.html

Meanwhile, over here in South Africa, we have the cleanest water in Africa. Sparkling pure. And I mean that seriously- the water is excellent, people can drink from the tap with no problem. Except in Grahamstown, where we have the highest feces and iron content in our water in all of South Africa. Mmmmm. I have a moral dillemna with drinking bottled water when I live in places where the water is potable. Grahamstown its a bit sketchy, so I err on the side of being safe. However, whenever I run out of bottled water, I face the dillemna: do I drink the tap water, or do I dehydrate? After walking up THE HILL, this is especially daunting. I usually roll the dice and drink the water, and so far I've been fortunate. This morning though, I filled the sink with water to wash my face and it was BROWN. So I'm getting myself back to the store and buying a huge jug of water tonight.

The Xhosa word for water is amanzi.

2 comments:

luke said...

Continue that thought...

"whenever I run out of bottled water, I face the dilemma: do I drink the tap water, or do I dehydrate?"... or do you head for a tasty ale in a tin bucket?

I say dilemma solved.

Victor said...

I have clean water in Cape Town. You're welcome to it! Brush your teeth before visiting.