Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Namibia here I come...

Hi all! Just want to give a heads up that I'm heading to Namibia for the next couple of weeks!
Three of the other Ambassadorial scholars and I are renting a car on Friday, and driving up into Namibia, which is North of South Africa along the West Coast. It is one of the least populated countries in the world, and is high desert. Go to this link and just check out the photographs to get an idea of the terrain - it is unbelievable!: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Namibia They speak English, Afrikaans (it was occupied by South Africa for many years), German (it was German colony) and many African languages. We're taking our camping equipment as there are long distances between major cities. Between the four of us, only two can drive a manual car (I'm not one), so I'm in charge of keeping the drivers happy.

Along the way we are stopping by Cape Town to visit with Victor and Jeannie (and see penguins again), and then we are heading to the capital city Windhoek (pronounced Vind-hook) because we are giving a Rotary talk there on March 20th. The Rotarians here have been wonderful, giving us advice and letting us borrow camping gear, maps, and

Here are a few photos http://picasaweb.google.com/haleykf/Grahamstown - my internet situation is less that great here, so I've only been able to upload a few. Enjoy.

That said the real purpose of this message is to wish you all a beautiful and blessed Easter. I will be spending Easter weekend in Sossusvlei - http://www.namibian.org/travel/namibia/sossusvlei.htm My goal is to watch the sunrise from the top of a sand dune in the middle of the desert on Easter morning. We'll see how that works out.

I love you all and hope that this Easter season is bursting with love and filled with new beginnings!
Much love,
Haley

2 comments:

Amber said...

Hey! I saw your blog on Robyn's and thought I would check it out. I am glad that you are enjoying South Africa. I loved the little bit of time I got to spend there; two months is definitely not enough. I hope you had a lovely time in Namibia. Love, Amber (Aston) Dickens

Genie said...

Miss you, hon! I hope you enjoyed Namibia. Update soon?

<3
Geneva