Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Took a tuk tuk: Cambodia

Last night the first thing I felt when I got off the plane was a huge wave of warm humid air.  I love breathing in that first breath of the thick (usually smoggy) air that hits when you get off the plane in the tropics.  I mean that in all sincerity.. it is like the thickness of the air is directly coorelated to the depth of adventure that is about to take place.  (And FYI, if that stands, the work in this country is going to be off the charts)

This is my first time in Cambodia.  I will be managing a program here this August, so this trip is just a teaser of what's about to come.  I'm so glad because I want to explore every last corner.


This morning we took a tuk tuk to work and a moto home.
Its tradition.
 Our view from dinner - overlooking the Mekong river. 
 Our tuk tuk ride home.


A side note: A couple of weeks ago I watched the Killing Fields, a movie about two journalists covering the Khmer Rouge regime.  I have put off watching for a long time because I wasn't sure I wanted to see the imagry of genocide (I've been increasingly sensitive to movies that show violence or war the last couple of years).. but since I knew I was coming here, I watched it and I am so glad I did.  I recommend it for anyone wanting to learn more about the genocide that took place here not so very long ago.. I am also hungry to learn more, so if anyone has good book/film suggestions, please let me know!

No comments: