This pie makes my heart sing for two reasons:
1. It is completely, ridiculously delicious.
2. It reminds me of the amazing months that my friend Rosa and I shared while she was here in New Haven for a semester.
Everyone should have a friend like Rosa. And everyone should eat this pie. I have to share it. Its just too good not to. In fact, I suggest to go and make it, right this minute. I'm going to. And then email me, and we can talk more about how amazing Rosa and her pie are.
Rosa (and her precious hubby Jon)'s Sweet Potato/Red Onion/Feta Pie
1 Xlarge (or two medium) sweet potatoes
2 large red onions
1 block feta (i like danish best)
brown sugar (pinch)
red wine (splash)
balsamic vinager (another splash)
olive oil (a gulp)
salt and pepper
1. peel sweet potatoes and dice into 1/2 in chunks
2. lay on a baking-paper lined cookie sheet, toss with a gulp of olive oil, an sprinkle liberally with salt
3. bake at at 350 until soft on the inside and golden on the outside
4. cut red onions VERY VERY finely; sauté until soft in another gulp of olive oil
5. add a splash of red wine, a splash of balsamic, and a pinch of brown sugar; cook over VERY low heat, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft and sweet and delicious
6. butter a pie plate and place bottom crust in it
7. in a big bowl, mix sweet potatoes, red onions, and crumbled feta
8. throw the yummy mix in the bottom crust, cover with top crust, and cut a few steam vents
9. bake until the crust looks done