Monday, October 5, 2009

Today is World Habitat Day 2009!

After spending a summer in the largest slum in Africa, I have a deep appreciation for the issues of urban planning, which is the theme of this year's World Habitat Day.

"The United Nations has designated the first Monday in October every year as World Habitat Day to reflect on the state of human settlements and the basic right to adequate shelter for all. It is also intended to remind the world of its collective responsibility for the future of the human habitat."
- taken from HUD

Check out this website - this is some of the more beautiful work I've ever seen pertaining to urban slums. If you click on Kibera on the map, you can see where I spent my summer.

THE PLACES WE LIVE

happy world habitat day.

2 comments:

Victor said...

What an important day and cause. I first read about this through the work of Habitat for Humanity and its founder and how he caught the attention of the UN.

Victor said...

My brother often tells me about how bad Nigeria is. I try to tell him that people live in slums around the world. I'm going to share this site with him.